Wednesday 4 December 2013

Its December!

Yes, I am back again for another go at this blogging stuff, covering the latest in the Letting Industry, trying to grow a Letting agency and recent education !!

As many of you know I have a fabulous wife ( Jan ) who has lectured me on the subject of planning, target setting and objectives for the business and why it is required. There has been times when I felt she has been working in partnership with Martin & Co's Head  office statistical Guru John Coupe. However this October I finally decided to have a go at this planning stuff and attended an ARLA course on the subject WOW the lights have gone on !! - Heard this phrase mentioned so many times and surprisingly it was understood straight away "Marginal Gains" "Marginal Gains" "Marginal Gains" "Marginal Gains" at first I was wondering what the coach Dave Brailsford knew about lettings.

I have been planning changes and implementing small changes for the last two weeks and already we have started to benefit financially. I need to bring it all together for 2014 and during this process looking forward to visiting one of Martin & Co's leading Franchisees in Gloucester Mr Peter Grieve. I do think there is some great business experience in our Network.

We started Sales in August and it never really got going, I would admit that it was due to the success of lettings and a poor understanding of the Sales process. However Great News, Sales could be the best decision Martin & Co Head office have made for my business in 7 years. No Sales yet but we now offer a service that covers all options for a landlord selling and an investor purchasing. I completed a viewing last night on an apartment and the Investor left taking our details for all his future properties, its great getting a half an hour to sell my company.

Big subject in the last week is the requirement for Letting Agents to display fees, this could turn into a serious rant as it really does not feel clear what we are supposed to do. A really good friend was listening to a debate on Radio 4 on this subject which prompted the question "Sean, who represents Letting Agents" well after much thought on this subject and consideration on how to answer I said " ARLA, NAEA, NALS, NFOPP and possibly RICS.  If we had one body governing and regulating Lettings surely we would present a more professional image and possibly a better understanding with our clients.

Finally thought for the week on the business front, I spend a lot of time reading and looking for the Magic Secret to successful management from running a business to managing people and I am beginning to think there isn't one..... Might come back on this subject next time

Quick update on stopping running, not sure I know how to after 26 years of trying to stay fit and running marathons.

Thank you for reading this and if you want to comment please do...






No comments:

Post a Comment